Waterfall

Waterfall
All photos have been captured by me, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Jeremy



Dear Jeremy


I don’t know you, well, not all that well anyways. We met one extremely early morning on the streetcar. I was the, not-yet-caffeinated, zombie on her way to work and you were the wasted bartender on your way home. Although you were clearly more than intoxicated (as if the half empty wine bottle in your hand didn’t prove it), you were also kind, intelligent, and most of all, truly honest (as most of us are with a little help from alcohol).


You told me a lot about yourself, things that I bet you only really share with complete strangers. Things I will not share here. The purpose of this open letter to you, stranger, is to give you my honest opinion of you (a first impression, if you will). At the time, my brain wasn’t functioning even at half speed to tell you what I thought about you. Not that I would have told you fully awake and caffeinated either. You see, I needed time to process you, and all that I feel you should hear, especially from a complete stranger. Right here, and right now, I am making myself (and you) a promise. If this letter doesn’t somehow magically reach you via the internet, I promise that if I ever see you on the streetcar again, I will say these words to you. I will reach deep within my semi-shy self and tell you this:


Jeremy, you are charismatic. Your smile is both endearing, and inviting. You are polite, and considerate, (even in your drunken state). You have a ton to offer the world both in personality, and social skills. Unlike the many, and I do mean many, creepy transit dwellers, you are friendly and definitely approachable. 


Yes, you work at a bar, but your life does not have to start and end with that, and you certainly do not need the help of alcohol to be your amazing self, I can tell. I can see that underneath your goofy, easy going exterior, and through our conversation, that you care. You care about what others think of you, and you care about what they mean to you.


I am saying these things, Jeremy, because years from now (and not many years), you will still have the booze, if you want it, but the rest… The looks, the charm, and the lead in life will disappear the closer your relationship with that booze becomes. You are a good person, no, a great person and all I can do is tell you this, and hope that one day, before it’s too late, that you see it too.


I see many people in my day-to-day streetcar travels, and no one has left such a lasting impression on me. You have a similar, outgoing, humorous personality that many of my most-cherished friends sport, and if they shared with me the candid things you have shared, I would say all these words and more. 


You are awesome, Jeremy. Don’t ever forget it, and please… Don’t give it away.


Sincerely, 


The (almost) stranger on the streetcar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Nonsense