Waterfall

Waterfall
All photos have been captured by me, unless otherwise stated.

Thursday 27 February 2014

Dandelion (A Short Story)



Here is another story with the subject provided by my loving sister, Kendra Deen. Through a facebook post, she suggested I write about a little boy and a dandelion. I hope you enjoy the story.

Dandelion
  
My Ma once told me that I’d become a flower. She said “Son, on the outside you will grow and grow and grow until you’re a full grown man.” Then she smiled “on the inside you will blossom. Your colours will develop and mature and change until you are a beautiful soul”. I asked her what happens when I am all done growing. “Your never done growing” she said “You will grow tall, and then proud, and then old. On the inside, you’ll grow until you grow seedlings, then you grow in ways you never thought possible.” This was confusing to me. If I keep growing and growing I’ll be taller than my house. I will have to use clouds as cotton balls and eat trees for my vegetables and I will squish people I love with one hug. I don’t want to grow and grow. I want to be little forever.

On her last day, Ma told me about being a flower again. I told her “Ma, I don’t want to be a flower. I don’t want to squish the people I love. I want to be me.” She laughed and it sounded like grandma's smoker laugh, even though she never smoked. I don’t think so, anyhow. “Oh sweetie pea, you won’t become a giant. Growing is not about getting really big. Growing is about living life and letting you become you.”  “But Ma, I am me” My eyes started to cry. “Yes, son, you are you, but... You still need to become you too.  Just like a small Dandelion. It looks like a dandelion, but it still grows and blossoms into even more of a dandelion so that no one can mistake it for anything else. I never want you to be mistaken for anything other than you.” Dandelions were Ma’s favourite flower. She always asked me how a weed can be so pretty. What’s a weed? 

          Ma looked tired. I asked her if there was anything she needed or if I should leave so she could sleep. As a tear slid down her pale cheek she said “All I need is you. I am going to sleep for a long time, perhaps forever, so I want you by my side until I drift into sleep.” I knew this day would come, even if I don’t know what it means. I knew Ma was dying. I knew she was sick and nothing doctors could do would save her. I accepted it, like Dad told me I had to. I just didn’t like it. As Ma drifted into her sleep, I held her hand and said “Ma, I’ll become a dandelion. The most perfect dandelion you ever saw”. She smiled.

         Today is a sad day. Today we say goodbye to Ma again by putting her to rest. That’s what dad says. “To Rest son, where she can spend all her days sleeping and dreaming about us”. I don’t understand this either. Why can’t she rest at home? I accept it, because I have to. Today is hot out. Dad is sweating a lot. He made me wear a tie. I hate ties. I wanted to wear mom’s diamond necklace she loved. It looked beautiful on her. Dad said it wouldn’t look appropriate. What is appropriate?

        When Ma has been laid to rest, whatever that’s supposed to mean, we walk home. Dad says he needs air. I don’t get this either. Why say you need air when you get air everywhere? Adults make no sense to me. When we get near the house I spot something so small it looked like a spec next to our front step. It is yellow. I run ahead of dad to see it closer.

         Today is April 10th, and there is a dandelion by my front step. Unbelievable, as Ma would say, so early for a spring flower. I think of Ma. I think of future me. The dandelion is just a baby and I make it a promise. “Dear Dandelion” I said out loud, but quiet enough that dad could not hear “I promise to take care of you, for your whole life. I promise one day you will be big and strong and you will be you.” I found a pot and some soil on Ma’s garden bench in our basement. I carefully dug up the dandelion just like she taught me to do. I planted it in the pot and carried it inside. I put the dandelion in my window every morning, and at noon every day I walked it across the house and put it in the guest room window. I know dandelions need 12 hours of sun. Even though I don’t understand everything, Ma always taught me how to care for flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Nonsense